Sunday 19 May 2013

You always look the same

"You always look the same", these were either the sweetest words OR I should break up with the man who said them.  I'm hoping not the later.  My lover said this to me one night when we were out to dinner.  And yes I had made the effort to brush my hair, put on some lipstick and slip into a sexy dress.  I sat there stunned looking at him..."umm....gee thanks?'  I thought over the years I'd figured out how to dress myself and make a statement and that my clothes could fit my mood.  I considered myself quiet the chameleon I could do grungy, hipster, work, yoga, nanna, sexy the list goes on.  I know you're not supposed to say this but I like my body and thought I had it figured out.  But to hear I always look the same?  No make up vs. make up is all in our heads?

Being a smart boy he sensed I was disgruntled and followed up with a very cute man speech that made me want to keep him.  "No I can tell the difference when you have gotten all dolled up or when you are on the couch in your trackies, but to me you are always the same.  You always look the same in my mind, beautiful...."  Awwwww.  "Like now I can tell you have that black gunk on your eyes" hmmmmm.   That's right ladies, that smoky eye beauty companies insist we learn how to do to look "sexy" is purely black gunk.  Liberating?  I think not.  Although my other half loves the way I look in all forms, he has no problem in pointing out the flaws in others.

Two nights ago we where at a bar in Windsor, now I always notice people dressed, well, wrong.  And I don't mean slutty or ugly I mean skirts that are too small, fake hair and lack of hygiene.  But I was bemused to see the bf analysing two girls at the bar; "is that girl wearing tights?  what is she going for a run?"  YES boys hate tights too, why do girls continue to wear them as pants when not exercising, yes they are comfortable.  but she was wearing 8inch heels so clearly comfort was not her style.  He continues with the other "and look at her face, why is it so shiny?  she looks like porcelain."  Which translates to way too much bronzer.  Now he wasn't being mean, he was actually confused, bless. 

With these two somewhat conflicting events I have come to the conclusion that if you are loved by the people you surround yourself with you will always be beautiful, but to others you might still look foolish.  So I figure honesty is the key.  Tell your friend not to wear tights to a night club and don't be offended if your boyfriend doesn't notice your new hair cut, because to him, you were already beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment