Friday 17 May 2013

Don't touch my vino

Now I don't claim to know everything about wine, I would love to know it all and claim the respected sommelier title but I'm many bottles away from this yet.  That being said I can tell the difference between varietals, name the more obvious tasting notes and I know what I do and don't like.  The day that I could tell and appreciate the difference between a $5 bottle of a $50 bottle of wine is one of my favourite transitions thus far.  It in turn turned me into a teen who drank to "get loose" to an adult who drank for pleasure, so please waitress at ************ pub don't try to mess with this. 

Now I understand that in hospitality we all tell little white lies sometimes or don't know the answer so make it up, "yes I'm sure that is skinny milk".  But you cant blatantly lie to a customer when they have pulled you up.  The other night me and the lover where having drinks at this scandalous pub and I was enjoying a beautiful glass of pinot noir.  I then asked the waitress for another and was brought a glass of red which was not poured at the table.  From the smell I knew it wasn't the same, the taste AWFUL.  I figured she swapped my delicious red for the house.  When she returned I asked her what wine she had given me, she didn't know but said she would ask...(didn't know? how could this be?) she returned and said it was the same as before and "even from the same bottle" (snide tone)  this I knew to be a lie because the first was poured in front of me and the bottle was emptied.  Long story short in the end I was given a new wine but it tainted my view of the place and made me realise how dear my wine is to me.

I'm not a wino by no means (yet) but I do love and appreciate a good drop.  I'd rather go to a winery then a beach any day.  I realise that in hospitality we don't always get it right, we may need to ask questions or bluff.  But please, find out the vintage, winery at least one flavour and match but don't try to switch the wine on me!   All in all don't lie to me about my vino.

No comments:

Post a Comment