Wednesday 22 May 2013

The making of a domestic goddess

I don't know when it happened, but somewhere in between moving out of the family home (that my mother kept clean) and moving into a house with 4 boys (that no one cleaned) then moving into an apartment with just 2 boys one being #marvintheschnauzer I became a lady who liked to clean.  All of a sudden I value having shiny floors and an incense filled lounge room, I want clean dishes, our bed to be made and full tissue boxes.  I run around like a crazy person before I have any guests, even if it is just the bestie, Marvin has started being washed more, a vegie patch is growing away happily on the porch and there is always something being baked in the CLEAN oven.  When the hell did I get so domestic?

I haven't gone full OCD my wardrobe is an avalanche every time it try to open it, my mermaid hair rarely gets brushed and I cant handle the bathroom, cause well, ick!  But I can actually see the change in myself and I think I like it.  Obviously its quiet a good thing but I'm still a little surprised by my sudden domestic goddess role, perhaps its because this apartment now feels like ours and only ours, its our mess so is not a big deal to clean.  Maybe its because I love Nigella and anything she does I want to do!  Or maybe again its eek, an age thing, almost 24!  It could be because I spend more time at home.  My two writing jobs are both done at home and my barista job is a mere 1km away.  Instead of constantly going out to meet friends they now usually come over, this year I have already had 3 friends from Canberra come and stay the night and countless Melbourne friends.   And I actually relish this role, I love having girlfriends over when there is wine in the cupboard, homemade olive bread in the oven and soft cheese on the bench. Even more I like having a cheese board to serve it on and appropriate glasses for different alcoholic beverages.  I like Marvin's hipster moustache being clean and Chefs Hat is my new playground and South Yarra markets is my supermarket.  I scroll the internet for fantastic vegetarian recipes and chemical free cleaners.  I don't know anything about celebrities and I love it!

I think I have entered the stage of entertaining, dinner parties, leather bound books, expensive wine and beautiful 1000 count sheets.  I write for fun and read to relax, I have no daily rules (besides yoga and wine) and generally am enjoying moments in a lovely apartment with a well stocked pantry.  So please lovely friends and family come over for tea, I shall make you some cookies and we can be merry and sing.  Because I want to entertain and feed you on a couch that's not stained nor stinky!

No comments:

Post a Comment